A while ago, LEGO announced the new Mario sets, and with it a new partnership with Nintendo. And while I was all for the idea of interactive sets that bridge the gap between LEGO and interactive electronic play, the thing I was really excited about was the Nintendo partnership itself!
Nintendo owns some of the most well known video game characters of all time, including Zelda & Link, Mario & Luigi, Starfox, Samus, Donky & Diddy Kong, Animal crossing… I mean the list goes on (but be sure to tell me your favourite in the comments).
And that excites me!
That excites me because I am a massive Zelda fan, and gamer in general, and this new set from Nintendo and LEGO shows that this partnership is pretty serious.
Not only do we get a very accurate and lifelike rendition of the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) itself, but we also get a retro TV and a controller.
Now, when I first saw the set, I wasn’t immediately amazed, I mean, the NES is a blocky as a LEGO brick, and though the TV had charm, was it all worth £200+ to me – someone who sadly missed out on owning an NES for real.
But then… then I saw it in motion!
Yes, there is a hidden handle on the side of the TV, and with a turn, the TV comes to life. The iconic Mario scenery starts scrolling by, and Mario jumps over obstacles and through the course. It is a sight to behold. And instantly for me makes sense at the price point. This is something that has been designed out of love and respect to Nintendo and Mario. It’s a work of art.
Check it out below
Official LEGO NES Specs
Do you love video games? Did you play Super Mario Bros.™ back in the day? Or do you just enjoy a hands-on, creative activity in your spare time? If so, this nostalgic LEGO® Nintendo Entertainment System™ (71374) model kit is perfect for you.
Authentic and interactive
The brick-built NES is packed with realistic details, including an opening slot for the Game Pak with a locking function and a controller with a connecting cable and plug. The console comes with a buildable retro TV, featuring a flat 8-bit Mario figure on the scrolling screen, plus an action brick to scan with LEGO® Mario™ (figure not included; find in the LEGO® Super Mario™ Starter Course set – 71360) so he reacts to the on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups just like in the Super Mario Bros. game.
This unique set is part of an inspiring collection of LEGO building sets for adults that make fabulous gifts for yourself and hobbyist friends who enjoy DIY challenges and proudly displaying their creations.
- Trigger nostalgic memories as you build this wonderfully detailed LEGO® brick Nintendo Entertainment System™ (71374) and interactive, 1980s-style television displaying the classic Super Mario Bros.™ game.
- The TV has a handle-operated scrolling screen and if you scan the action brick by placing LEGO® Mario™ (figure not included) in the slot on top, he will react to the on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups.
- Authentic details of the NES console are recreated in LEGO® style, including a controller and an opening slot for the buildable Game Pak with a realistic locking function to delight Super Mario Bros.™ fans.
- Whether you were an NES gamer back in the day, a fan of retro stuff, or are just looking for an immersive, fun, creative DIY project to leave you feeling revitalized, this 2,646-piece model building kit is ideal for you.
- The buildable TV measures over 8” (22.5cm) high, 9” (23.5cm) wide and 6” (16cm) deep, and alongside the NES model makes a cool display item for your home or office. It also makes the best LEGO® gift for gamer friends.
- No batteries required – combine this playset with the LEGO® Mario™ figure in the LEGO® Super Mario™ Adventures with Mario Starter Course (71360) to activate the TV’s interactive features.
- Easy-to-follow instructions help you to build with confidence, even if you are a LEGO® newcomer. Also included is an illustrated booklet about the creation of the Nintendo Entertainment System™ and classic NES games.
- This highly collectable building set for adults is part of a range of inspirational LEGO® model kits designed for you, the discerning hobbyist, as you look for your next immersive DIY project.
- LEGO® building bricks meet the highest industry standards, which ensures they are consistent, compatible and connect and pull apart easily every time – it’s been that way since 1958.
- LEGO® bricks and pieces are dropped, crushed, twisted, heated and rigorously analysed to ensure that this unique LEGO building set satisfies the highest safety and quality standards.