LEGO has released LEGO Ideas Voltron – 21311 to the masses, though the official release date is 1st August, a few people have been lucky enough to get the set a little early.
The LEGO Ideas Voltron set is the biggest LEGO Ideas set to date, weighing in a £179.99 and 2321 pieces! That amount of pieces means it’s going to be a big set, and this gorgeous Voltron set stands at approximately 40cm (15″) tall, 14cm (5″) deep, and 21cm (8″) wide!
But it is not just the fact the set it is big that will appeal to Voltron fans, but you can actually assemble and disassemble him into the big cats that make up the giant figure – just like the cartoon!
So not only is this a giant robot/mecha set, but you also get five individual lion toys to play with! The black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide. The yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide. The green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide. While even the accessories are noteworthy with Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long and Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.
A Bit About Voltron
There is a behind the scenes video of the making of the LEGO Ideas Voltron set, from initial concept to final set. It is important to note that the set is based on the original series and not the newer Netflix series that is also widely loved. This will obviously upset fans that are exclusively fans of the new Netflix version but will delight fans of the original. I don’t think it will be long before the MOC community creates a modified version to more closely resemble the newer Netflix Voltron.
But how does the original Voltron compare to the New Voltron?! Below is a handy video to get you up to speed on the differences between the two. You should note, that the LEGO Ideas Voltron set includes a sticker sheet of the numbers for the lions as the original Japanese and American versions differ as to whether they include them. So with the numbers on a sticker sheet, you now get to choose whether you number your lions or not. 😀
LEGO Official Description
It’s time to defend the universe so get ready to form LEGO® Ideas 21311 Voltron, the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! This awesome set features buildable and highly posable black, blue, yellow, red and green lions with specially designed, extra-strong joints to combine them all and create the Voltron super robot, plus a huge sword and shield that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands. Ideal for display or to recreate thrilling action from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
- Features 5 buildable and posable lions that can be transformed and combined to create the giant Voltron super robot.
- Play with the lions individually or combine them using extra-strong joints to form Voltron—the black lion forms the head and torso; the red and green lions form the arms; and the yellow and blue lions form the legs.
- Pose the head, shoulders, arms and wrists of Voltron (legs are not posable).
- Also includes a sword and shield (each with silver-colored elements) that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands.
- Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and super force of LEGO® designers.
- This set includes over 2,321 pieces.
- Display or play out exciting stories from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
- Voltron measures over 15” (40cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide.
- Black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
- Yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.
- Green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
- Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long.
- Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.
Let us know what you think of the Lego Ideas Voltron in the comments. Will you be getting one?
El Brick, thank you ever so for your post.